Wednesday, March 2, 2011

late post, but we made it to Huatulco!

Well I know this post is a little late, but it has been really hot and I have not been feeling up to par since I got a cold on our travel down here.  We pulled up anchor in Zihuatanejo around 1:30pm after checking out with the Puerto de Capetian and having a goodbye breakfast with SV Cuervo. We were ready and excited to do our 345 mile and about 70 hour trip.  This is the first 3 night trip Jerry and I have done in a while by ourselves.  The first day was great, we had about 8 knots of wind had all sails up, and were able to cruise at 1200rpm traveling about 5.8 to 6.2 knots above water. That night we did pull all sails in because there was very light wind and with only one of us being on watch at a time it gets to be a little to much.  The next morning we had an another adventure with pongas and their long line fishing, this one went about 2 miles, but during our motor parallel with the line and the ponga showing us the way so we did not cross over the line and potentially snag and break it, they pulled up their dorado that they at had caught.  I was hoping they were going to give it to us since they were making us go 2 miles out of our way for them and I reeled in all our poles so they would not snag the line also, but after I knew they were not going to sell it, I thought that hopefully this was going to be good karma for us. 

After we got back on coarse Jerry went below and cooked breakfast.  Now we have met a lot of cruisers, some who love to cook and eat while underway and others that have no appetite and might even get nauseous if they think of food.  Well we were having a great motor sail with all the poles out, flat seas, water temp was 84 degrees, outside temp was about 88 degrees and listening to Jimmy Buffet, what better then to have a delicious, very large and filling breakfast.


we did catch on little fish, but to small so we let him go
The early, early morning of the third day I woke up with a sore throat and a headache as the day went on, the symptoms got worse, by my watches the third night I was not doing so great.  Jerry did take my last watch from 6am to 9am so I could sleep in a little more.  The forth day I slept all day except for when Jerry woke me up saying we were there and to get the dock lines and fenders out.  So thanks to Jerry we made it, but by the time we pulled into our slip in Marina Chahue in Huatuclo we were both exhausted.


I was impressed with their dinghy, bet that would be hard to get up on the beach
There are about 5 or 6 other boats that are going to do the Tehuantepec crossing going south to El Salvador so hopefully we all coordinate a good and easy, smooth weather to cross. 

No comments: