Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Oh...The Fun of The Ranch!!

While Jerry has been working on the boat, installing the washing machine and other odds and ends, I am still out at the ranch encountering the wonders of living in the desert of Mexico.  I have had a crossing with a snake, luckily not a rattlesnake, but still a snake all the less.  I did have a low point on the job, a 33 year old horse has been laid to rest.  Everyone know it was coming, but it was still a rough day for me and all the other horses on the ranch.  Thanks to some very helpful ranchers and Jerry, it turned out to go very smoothly and with little crying, from the horses of coarse.
 I have also seen a scorpion out in the hay barrels and the most recent animal encounter was a very large toad that was in the stalls while I was blowing out the hay from the walkway.  I have contacted a Kristin, who is the local dog care center owner, and asked some questions about them being poisonous to dogs.  I have also tried to do some research on the internet comparing the pictures and from what I can find I think they are "Bufo Marinus" and here the locals call them "Sapos".  They seem to be poisonous if licked or ingested, but Kristin thinks that if you flush the dogs mouth with lots of water it should flush the poison out.  I have not had any problems with the dogs and them, but I am keeping my eye out for them. 
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29568.asp

Now don't get me wrong, we are all have a great time out here also.  Skeet loves playing with the dogs, and the little horse (sorry don't remember his name).  I am getting about 5 eggs a day from the chickens, so I have been giving them away to some of the cruisers because I can't not eat them all, and Jerry is not here for breakfast. 

No comments: